Urine problems are a major concern nowadays. These all occur due to some fault in our kidneys. The lifestyle and wrong eating habits give birth to a number of diseases and complications, so let’s discuss a condition known as oliguria in detail.
What is Oliguria?
Oliguria is also known as hypouresis. It is a condition in which there is a low output of urine more than 80 ml/day but less than 400ml/day. The low output of urine may be a sign of kidney failure, multiple organ dysfunction, dehydration, hypovolemic shock, urinary retention, pre-eclampsia, urinary tract infections. When the urine output is less than 500ml/day in adults, it is known as oliguria.
In children the ratio of urine output over time is proportional to the child’s body weight. When the urine output is less than 1ml/kg of body weight per hour in infants, or less than 0.5ml/kg per hour in children, then it is considered as oliguria.
What are the Symptoms of Oliguria?
The lack of urine output is the first symptom. Other symptoms that patient may experience are dry skin, rapid heartbeat, fluid loss, kidney infection, rash, fever, enlarged kidneys, enlargement of bladder, blockage in the bladder which may cause dribbling that indicates a poor urinary system.
What are the Causes of Oliguria?
It is caused by various health issues so here we are discussing a few of them:
- Infection and trauma:-It is a less typical cause of oliguria. When the body goes in shock it reduces the blood flow to your organs this may result in oliguria.
- Dehydration:-For less urine output it is the most common cause. Diarrhea, vomiting and other illness that leads to loss fluid from your body. When there is no fluid in your body, the output of urine will be less so this condition causes oliguria.
- Urinary tract obstruction:-When there is blockage or obstruction in the urinary tract, the urine will not flow as per the requirement. It affects your both kidneys. This blockage may give rise to other symptoms like nausea, vomiting, body ache, fever and swelling.
- Excessive usage of the medications:- Over usage of the medicine like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs),antibiotics, high blood pressure medicines may result in less production of the urine that is known as oliguria.
What are the Other Complications of Oliguria?
If the oliguria condition is left untreated than it may give rise to complications such as:-
Heart failure, hypertension, anemia, gastrointestinal problems and platelet dysfunction.
How can you Prevent Oliguria Condition?
As the most common cause of this oliguria is dehydration. So always try to increase your intake of fluid whenever you have suffered from diarrhea, fever or other problems.
Which tests you should Undergo for Detecting Oliguria?
- Urinalysis:-This test is done to see the infection, inflammation of bladder and kidney. It also gives details about presence of protein, red blood cells, and white blood cells.
- Urine culture:-The bacterial growth can confirm a bladder or kidney infection.
- Ultrasound:-This test gives information about cyst mass, stones etc. in kidneys.
- Computed tomography.
- Blood tests:-Patient should undergo routine blood and urine tests.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Oliguria?
In Ayurveda muthavahasrotas (urinary system) are the channels in the body that carry urine as it flows out liquid out of the kidneys. But when there is less output of urine it results in oliguria. Acute renal failure can cause this problem. The disease can be correlated with “mutrakricch” as per the Ayurvedic view. So let’s have a look on the shlokas related to it.
पृथङ्गमला: स्वै:कुपितानिदानै: सर्वेअथवाकोपमुपेत्यवस्तौ।
मूत्रस्यमार्गपरिपीडयन्तियदातदामूत्रयतीहकृच्छात। (च।चि२६ /३३)
When Vata, Pitta, and Kapha individually or in combination, enter the bladder and disturb the urinary system. In a person, it causes pain while passing urine.
This shloka states that in mutrakricch due to an imbalance of Vata, there is pricking pain in the bladder and groin area. The flow of urine is slow and dropwise. When there is an imbalance of Pitta dosha the urine that passes is dark yellow along with blood, very painful and causes a burning sensation.
We have numerous herbs to deal with this condition. Planet Ayurveda offers a combination herbal pack known as Revive kidneys pack for oliguria condition.
1. Mutrakrichantak Churna
This churna is prepared from herbs like Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Varuna (Crateva nurvala), Bhumiamala (Phyllanthus niruri), Shigru (Moringa oleifera), Apamarg (Achyranthes aspera), Shirish (Albezzia lebbock) that increases the flow of urine. These herbs in combination help in the proper flow of urine, relieve the painful condition, clear the obstructed urinary tract, and give effective results in oliguria condition.
Dosage: One teaspoonful once daily with plain water or boil one teaspoonful in 500 ml water until remaining 50 ml. Filter the mixture and drink this decoction daily.
2. Rencure Formula
These herbal capsules are prepared from herbs like Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Palaash (Butea monosperma), Gokshur (Tribulus Terrestris), Kaasni (Cichorium intybus), Varun (Crataeva nurvala). These herbs in combination maintain proper flow of the urine. These capsules work on all the causes and symptoms associated with oliguria.
Dosage: One to two capsules twice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Varunadi vati
These are classical herbal tablets used since ancient time in various types of urinary and kidney problems. It maintains proper urine output by keeping the urinary system healthy. The tablets are prepared from ingredients like Varun (Crataeva nurvala), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus Terrestris), Shuddha Guggulu (Commiphora mukul), etc.
Dosage: One to two tablets thrice daily with plain water after meals.
4. Punarnava mandur
These herbal tablets are prepared from herbs like Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Amalaki (Emblica officinalis), Haritaki (Terminalia chebula), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Chitrakmool (Plumbago zeylanica), Vidanga (Emblica officinalis), Mandoor bhasma (Ferric oxide calx) etc. Punarnava mandur is classical herbal tablets that give good results in oliguria condition due to their diuretic, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
Dosage: One to two tablets thrice daily with plain water after meals.
Home Remedies in oliguria:
There are numerous remedies that you can try at home as these are safe to use and will not cause any side-effects.
- Take one small teaspoon of cardamom powder, mix it in a glass of cow’s milk. Drink this milk daily to increase the flow of urine.
- Take a copper vessel, fill it with water and keep it overnight. Early in the morning drink this water on an empty stomach. This is a beneficial remedy in oliguria condition.
- Always prevent your body from dehydration. Drink lots of water as it will keep your body hydrated.
- Prepare a paste of green coriander leaves and mix this paste in buttermilk. Drink a glass of it daily with your meals.
- Eat berries as it flushes out toxins from your body.
- Drink fresh cranberry juice as it removes toxins due to its antioxidant nature.
- Eat cucumbers and watermelons because they contain high water content hence help in increasing the amount of urine output.
Along with the medicines, you can follow these home remedies as they give good results in oliguria conditions.