Oil pulling is an ancient ayurvedic method known as “kavala” or “gandusha”. It is an ancient method in which medicated oil is swished or hold around the mouth. The popular oils that are used in oil pulling are sesame, coconut, olive, sunflower, etc. This oil pulling method helps in detoxification as it removes toxins from the mouth. For any type of dental problem, oil pulling is the best way.
Gandush is of four types snigdha, shamana, shodhna, ropana. Snigdha gandhush meant lubricating your mouth with oil, Shamana gandush means doing gargles with the medicinal herbs. Shodhna gandush is gargling with herbs that are sour, bitter, pungent, and that has hot potency. Ropana is doing gargles with astringent and bitter herbs. The liquids that are used for doing gandusha are oil, ghee, milk, urine of animals, etc.
This is one of the popular methods to remove all the bacteria out from the mouth. The process of holding oil in the mouth removes throughout all the impurities. There is a lot of difference between kaval and gandusha. In kavala the sufficient amount of oil is placed in the mouth for three minutes only. Gargle your mouth with the oil and spit it out. In gandusha fill your mouth with oil and hold this for three to five minutes then spit it out.
What are the Main Benefits of Oil Pulling?
There are numerous health benefits related to oil pulling mentioned in detail below
- It keeps your gums healthy
- Oil pulling removes mucus from the mouth
- The whitening and brightening of teeth occur with the regular use of oil pulling
- It helps to boost up the immunity of the body
- Halitosis (bad breath) is managed with the oil pulling technique
- Overcomes headache
- Increases energy in the body
- It helps in clearing the sinuses
- Oil pulling alleviates all types of allergies
- Keeps your skin more clear
- Decreases inflammation
- Oil pulling strengthens the jaw, teeth
- Cracked lips and throat dryness are relieved with the oil pulling method
- Toothache and ulceration in the oral cavity are managed with regular oil pulling
- It helps in better sleep
So now let’s have a look at the health benefits of oil pulling with nirgundi oil
कषायं कटुकं तिक्तम दुष्टव्रणविशोधनं।
बलासानिल वातास्त्र कुष्ठकण्डू विषप्रणुत। (कै। नि ४ /३४२)
This shloka represents that Nirgundi herb is Kashaya, Katu, Tikta, clears wounds. It is effective in balancing Vata Dosha. The herb gives effective results in leprosy, wounds, and poison.
केश्यो नेत्रहितो हन्ति शूल शोथाम मारुतान।
कृमिकोष्ठारूचि श्लेष्मज्वराननीलापि तदविधा। (भा.प्र )
This shloka represents that Nirgundi herb is good for hair, eyes. It is good in pain, edema. The herb provides good results in wounds, disturbed stomach, excessive mucus, fever, etc.
The oil is prepared from the most beneficial herb known as nirgundi (Vitex negundo). Nirgundi herb contains chemical constituents like B-sitosterol, camphene, agnoside, vitricine, casticin, orientin, artemetin etc. The medicinal properties of Nirgundi herb Taste (Rasa)- Katu (Pungent), Tikta (Bitter), Qualities (Guna)- Laghu (Light), Ruksha (Dry), Taste conversion after digestion (Vipaka)- Katu (Pungent), Potency (Virya)- Ushna (Hot). Effects on the three energies (doshas)- It balances vata and kapha doshas. The nirgundi oil is prepared from the leaves of the herb nirgundi that contain resins, volatile oil and fragrance. It clears all types of wounds. The anti—toxic nature of herb removes all toxins out from the mouth. Other ingredients that are used for the preparation of the oil are Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia), Haridra (Curcuma longa), Kalihari (Gloriosa superba), and Tila oil (Sesamum indicum) that provide good results in various diseases.
- Manjistha (Rubia cordifolia): This is the best herb for any type of skin problems. It gives effective results in treating wounds, boils, etc.
- Haridra (Curcuma longa): The antiseptic, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, etc properties of this herb gives effective result in treating ulcers of the mouth. Bacteria in the mouth are cleared with this herb.
- Kalihari (Gloriosa superba): This herb kills worms in the body, reduces pain, and inflammatory conditions. It contains anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-helminthic properties.
- Tila oil (Sesamum indicum): The oil is rich in calcium, copper, magnesium, and manganese. It contains vitamins and minerals that build an immune system against the diseases. This oil removes dental plaque and is responsible for whitening of the teeth. The regular use of this oil keeps a germ-free environment of your mouth. It nourishes the body and maintains a healthy body.
What is the Procedure of Doing Oil Pulling with Nirgundi Oil?
- Drink a glass of water early in the morning on an empty stomach.
- Put nirgundi oil in the mouth. Initially, start with one teaspoonful of nirgundi oil after that gradually you can increase the dosage.
- If you are doing gandusha then keep this oil in the mouth for two to three minutes. After that spit this oil out.
- In kaval graha procedure take some oil, revolve it into your mouth for 15 to 20 mins. Do this till the oil becomes thin, white color, and after that expel it out.
- You can do any one of the above procedures.
- Use of oil pulling regularly for one month gives an amazing result. It removes all three aggravated doshas Vata, Pitta, and Kapha out of the body.
The main Health Benefits of Oil Pulling by Nirgundi Oil
- Kills all the bacteria of the mouth.
- Wound infections are managed with the regular use of this oil.
- Teeth become healthy and shiny.
- All dental caries and cavities are treated with the use of nirgundi oil.
- It helps to maintain the overall oral health of an individual.
- Bad breath is controlled with the use of this oil.
- For a different type of bacteria, it is the best oil.
- Boils, ulcers, other infections are managed with the use of nirgundi oil.
- Dental plaque is cleared with this oil.
- It overall detoxifies your mouth.