Bronchial Asthma or simply asthma is a chronic inflammatory, respiratory disease of the airways that is categorized by periodic attacks of wheezing, shortness of breath, coughing and chest tightness. Inflammation in airways makes them more sensitive and narrower, making it harder to breathe.
Asthma is a type of Chronic Pulmonary Disease. Bronchial Asthma affects people of all age groups and is on the rise these days due to increase in pollution and population.
What are the Causes of Asthma?
According to Ayurveda, Asthma or Swash Rog is a disorder triggered by the accumulation of impurities that could disrupt the tissues. The toxins get accumulated in the body with an unhealthy diet, improper digestion, compromised elimination, stress and many environmental factors or triggers.
These triggers can be cold air, physical activity, tobacco smoke, sprays, dust, chemicals, pollens, animal dander, acid reflux, medications, food additives etc. The symptoms which triggers varies from person to person.
According to Ayurveda, Asthma or Swash Rog is a disorder triggered by the accumulation of impurities that could disrupt the tissues.
The toxins get accumulated in the body with an unhealthy diet, improper digestion, compromised elimination, stress and many environmental factors or triggers. These triggers can be cold air, physical activity, tobacco smoke, sprays, dust, chemicals, pollens, animal dander, acid reflux, medications, food additives etc.
The symptoms which triggers varies from person to person.
These impurities are carried through the body channels to the chest and lungs, where they start irritating the epithelial lining of the airways which leads to inflammation of the The imbalance of Kapha Dosha and Vata dosha in the body plays a major role in asthmatic symptoms.
Asthma is associated with mast cells, eosinophils and T lymphocytes. Mast cells release histamine, a substance that causes constriction in airways. Eosinophils are the White Blood Cells that are associated with allergic diseases while T lymphocytes are the White Blood Cells that are associated with inflammation.
One may also have inherited tendency to develop allergies if his/her parents have asthma.
What are the Symptoms of Asthma:
The most common symptoms of Bronchial Asthma are:
- Excessive Coughing especially at night time or early morning.
- Wheezing which is reoccurring, it appears like a whistling sound while exhaling out the air.
- Tightness of Chest which seems as if something is pressing, squeezing or sitting on the chest.
- Shortness of Breath and one starts breathing very fast.
Some fewer common symptoms include tiredness, lack of sleep or trouble sleeping, dry mouth, feeling excessive thirst, the stiffness of neck and head, runny nose, sweating, difficulty in hearing and speaking.
Some of the symptoms come and go on their own or with some basic treatment or precautions. Symptoms get intense due to stress. When the symptoms are intense and appear like a flare up or attack, then it is called Exacerbation. That requires emergency care right away.
Ayurvedic Treatment of Asthma
Asthma is known to have no complete cure, but it is a manageable disease. By eliminating the deeply embedded impurities, one can easily manage the asthma symptoms.
Ayurveda recommends the medication to balance Kapha and Vata dosha which are the root causes of triggering or aggravating asthma symptoms. A change in lifestyle, diet, certain natural remedies all go a long way in fixing the problem.
Planet Ayurveda offers an effective treatment to control Bronchial asthma in the form of ASTHMA CARE PACK. The pack is a collection of three excellent products known to work well in suppressing Asthma symptoms and giving relief to the patient. The pack includes:
1. Tulsi capsules:
- These capsules are made with pure extract of the best quality of Tulsi herb which is also known as Queen of herbs. Tulsi or holy basil is known for its infection fighting properties and is anti-congestive in nature. Its components camphene, eugenol and cineole provides relief from congestion and helps to breath better. The product shows outstanding results in enhancing the immune system and treating bronchitis, cough, cold etc.
- The recommended dosage of Tulsi Capsules for Bronchial Asthma patients is 2 capsules two times a day with plain water after 30 mins of the meals.
2. Praan Rakshak Churana:
- This formulation in the powdered form is blend of six powerful ingredients such as Shirisha, Vasa, Anantmool, Dalchini, Bharangi and Madhuyashti. The combination provides excellent treatment for asthma and allergies as the herbs being used in it are natural antihistamines that help in reducing inflammation and easing the breathing process.The product is capable of relieving all respiratory and throat related infections.
- The recommended dosage of PraanRakshak Churna for Bronchial asthma is a 1 spoon two times daily with plain water, after 30 mins of the meals.
3. Aller-G Care Capsules:
- This herbal formulation is prepared using 100% pure extracts of herbs like Haridra, Neem, Ashwagandha and Shirish. These herbs work together to control acute and chronic allergies. The herbs are well known for their anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties. Aller G Care capsules are great in case of pollen allergies.
- The recommended dosage of Aller G Care Capsules for Bronchial Asthma is two capsules twice a day with plain water after 30 mins of the meals.
The processing and packaging of all Planet Ayurveda products is done using most advanced technologies, with minimal human intervention, and in the extremely clean environment. The medicines have no known side effects as no chemical, binders or fillers are added in the products.
The asthma patients are advised to practice Yoga and pranayama (deep breathing) on regular basis as these help in relieving stress, which is one of the most common factor that triggers asthma attack.
Diet recommendations for Asthma patients:
A healthy well-balanced diet is recommended for asthma patients in order to boost their immune system and metabolism.
High fiber food, food rich in omega 3 fatty acid, food rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Folate, Vitamin A should be consumed. It is suggested to include onions, garlic, ginger, mustard seeds in meals. Beans,nuts, probiotic foods are also beneficial.
All processed foods, fried and greasy foods should be avoided by the patient.
The patients are advised to quit smoking and stay away from second hand smoke. It is recommended to lose weight or manages a healthy weight .
Ayurvedic treatment focuses on natural methods to help prevent and reverse asthma attacks. It is very important for the patient to understand their body, be aware of the triggers and try to avoid those allergens as much as possible.