Kidney stones are solid crystals that obstruct the pathway of the urinary tract. Renal calculi are very common these days and they are quite painful. It occurs due to an imbalance of body fluids which makes the urine concentrated and increases the chances of stone formation. According to Ayurveda, these stones are called Ashmari. Ashmari is a kaphapradhan tridoshaj Vyadhi.
How a Renal Stone Affects Our Whole Body?
The kidney is a major excretory organ in our body. It helps to eliminate toxins, maintains water-electrolyte balance in our body. So, if anything, that obstructs the path of this urinary system creates toxin deposition in our body. This does not show harmful effects over this organ, but their effect has been observed over every organ.
Causes Of Renal Stones
Renal stone is a disease which is originated due to our improper or unwholesome diet and lifestyle.
- Aahaar (Diet) – Excessive consumption of rice, milk products, potatoes, peanuts, chocolates, Vitamin D (Calcium oxalate stones). Excessive consumption of fish, meat, protein-rich diet (Uric acid stones), alcohol, salt, alkaline foods, and reduced water intake.
- Vihaar (Lifestyle) – Indulging in strenuous activities, suppressing natural urges (especially micturition), excessive exposure to sunlight.
Some Other Factors
- Excessive sweating
- Genetic factors may also be responsible for this disease.
The symptoms described in our classics are
(Reference – Sushruta samhita / Nidana sthana / Ashmarinamnidana / Chapter no. 3 / Shaloka no. 5 and 7)
- Pida – Pain over a lumbar region or renal angle which radiates from back to front, pain increases while changing posture. Even there is a pain in the bladder region (Hypogestrium), in ureters and around testicles.
- Aruchi – Anorexia
- Mutrakrichra – Dysuria (pain while micturition)
- Burning sensation while urination.
- Sarudhiramutrata – Haematuria (Blood mixed urine)
6. Nature of Urine
- Colour (depends on dosha) – White, pale, reddish, clear, frothy
- Quantity – Reduced urine output (mutrasangha)
- Frequency – Reduced
- Viscosity – Viscous and dense
- Crystals – Precipitates may present
- Smell – Foul smell
- Flow – Interrupted flow or in continuous urine stream.
7. Sometimes associated with fever
Why Some Individuals Who Have Stones, Does Not Exhibit Any Signs and Symptoms?
The reasons are
- Size of calculi – If the calculi are <4 mm person may not feel any pain or difficulty in urination.
- Location – If calculus is small in size and located in the kidney or in urinary bladder person may not find any difficulty, because of a wide surface area or enough space.
Types of Renal Stones
- Calcium – oxalate stones – These are the most common ones, which forms due to increased intake of calcium and oxalate-rich diet. They can be correlated to Kaphaja ashmari
- Uric acid stones – Due to an increased level of uric acid in our body, these stones may build up. They can be correlated to Pittaja ashmari.
- Struvite stones – Mostly females are affected by these stones due to more UTI infection incidences in females than males.
- Cystine stones – Rare stones, but inherited ones. These types of stones usually form in our body and eliminate out. If not eliminated due to any reason, they may deposit anywhere in the urinary tract and build up a hard crystal, that is nothing but a stone.
When a Medicine Required for Crushing the Stone?
As we know the diameter of our ureters is 4 to 5 mm in size. If the stone size is <5 mm then with the help of diuretics we can eliminate the stone. If stone size >5 mm, these urinary pipes are narrow, we require medicines that will crush stone and makes them suitable to eliminate from this narrow track.
Methods To Detect Renal Stones
- Renal function test
- Urine routine
- CT scans of the abdomen
- MRI of kidney and abdomen
- Blood test for calcium and electrolytes
- Nidana parivarjana (Avoid the root cause)
- Medicines to crush the stones
- Diet management
Herbal Remedies for Kidney Stones
First of all, avoid the root cause
- Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa) – It acts as a diuretic.
- Trinapanchamula – These are the group of 5 medicines (Kusha, kasha, nala, darbha, ikshu) which help to flush out small stones.
- Gokshura (Tribulus terrestris) – It helps to heal the urinary tract.
- Pashanbhedi (Bergenia ligulata) – A potent medicine to crush the stone.
- Varuna (Crataeva nurvala) – Best medicine for renal disorders, it improves the function of nephrons along with that it also helps to destroy stones.
- Shatavari (Asparagus racemosus) –
- Kulatha (Horsegram) – It also breakdowns the bigger stones into small ones.
- Guggulu (Cammiphora mukul) – Guggulu is famous for reducing the growth of these crystals.
- Apamarga (Acyranthes aspera) – A supportive medicine that is helpful to dissolve the stone.
- Kasani (Chicorium intybus) – Helps to maintain the proper flow of urine.
- Triphala (Amalaki, vibhitaki and haritaki) – It is a well-known mixture of herbs known for its detoxification property.
What are the Home Remedies For Renal Stones?
- Patharcahat Swaras – It is also called as Air plant, the juice of 2-3 leaves per day is helpful or even you can chew these leaves, advised after meals.
- Kulatha (Horse Gram) – Add 10 gms of kulatha daal in 1 glass of water, boil it till 1/3rd water gets evaporated, drink lukewarm decoction by adding pinch of saindahav lavan and jeeraka powder, advised after meals.
- Mulika Swarasa – Juice of mooli (radish) is proven to be beneficial in this condition.
- Ikshu rasa – Sugar cane juice is well known for its diuretic property, it will enhance urine output, which helps to clear the urinary tract.
- Tulsi Swarasa – Concentrated liquid (Arka) of tulsi along with madhu (Honey) is helpful in eliminating renal stones.
- Darbha (Desmotachya bipinnata) – in juice form we can use darbha grass, it is also a natural diuretic.
- Watermelon – It is a potassium-rich fruit that helps to maintain healthy kidney function. It also has diuretic properties.
- Gokharu – Decoction of gokharu can be used. Dosage – 15-20 ml, after meals.
- Consume – Wheat, green peas, moong daal, karela, apple, watermelon, papaya, etc.
- Even we can include Soda water as it is an alkali, it helps to break down stone along and flush those crystals out along with its diuretic action.
- Water is an essential part of managing renal stones. Emphasis is always given to drink more water, as it will flush the toxin from the body.
- Avoid – Beetroot, rice, soya beans, tofu, coffee, chocolate, potatoes, spinach, nuts, pulses, etc.
Is There any Medicine Which is Contraindicated While Taking Treatment of Urolithiasis?
Yes, one medicine which is strictly contraindicated while taking renal stone medicines is “SHILAJIT”. As shilajit is responsible for increasing calcium amount in our body, hence it will support the stone growth. So never take shilajit supplements while taking renal treatment.