Angina Pectoris is characterized as distress that happens when there is a diminished blood oxygen supply to the heart muscles.
Angina pectoris is quite common but it is hard to distinguish it from other types of chest pain such as pain or discomfort due to indigestion but if there is an unexplained chest pain, medical attention is required. The chest pain need to be evaluated by a doctor who can determine stable or unstable angina.
Two Types of Angina:
- Stable Angina
- Unstable Angina
- Stable Angina is also called angina pectoris and is the most common type of angina. It is a predictable pattern of chest pain.
- In the condition of stable angina, there is a pain and discomfort during any physical exercise that usually lasts for a short period of time.
- It is alleviated by rest or medication.
- Pain can be spread to the arms or back.
- Unstable angina is another form of angina which occurs suddenly and gets worse over time which may eventually lead to heart attack.
- In unstable angina, pain or discomfort often happens during rest, during midnight or with a very little exercise.
- It is more severe than stable angina and lasts longer as compared to stable angina.
- It is not alleviated by rest or by taking medication.
- This condition can aggravate over time.
The difference between stable and unstable angina is that stable angina occurs due to overexertion physically or mentally.
What are the causes of Angina Pectoris?
- Angina pectoris is caused due to the thickening of arteries that supply oxygen, blood and nutrients to the heart.
- Thickening of the arteries occur when the plaques or fatty deposits narrow the arteries over time, and reduce the blood flow to the heart.
Angina pectoris is caused due to the following factors:
- Sedentary Lifestyle
- High Cholesterol
What are the symptoms of Angina Pectoris?
The most common symptoms of angina pectoris are pain and discomfort.
The Symptoms are:
- Squeezing, burning or tightness within the chest.
- Shortness of breath
How Angina Pectoris is diagnosed?
It is diagnosed by taking a medical history and performing certain tests such as Electrocardiogram and Angiography.
- An Electrocardiogram measures the electrical activity of the heart and also evaluates the heart rhythm.
- Angiography is a type of X-ray that allows the physician to see the blood vessels and measure blood flow to the heart.
Angina Pectoris according to Ayurveda:
- The various references of the circulatory system are available in ancient texts.
- Master Charak has mentioned that if the places where pulsations of vessel generally seen, if suddenly become free from pulsations, it indicates a very bad prognosis.
- Ayurvedic texts such as Charak Samhita documented herbs that are employed in heart disorders under Hridya Mahakashaya group. Certain herbs have been described in Ayurveda that are helpful in maintaining a healthy state of blood vessels including coronary arteries.
How Angina Pectoris be Treated Naturally?
- Planet Ayurveda offers Heart Care Pack for the treatment of Angina Pectoris. Heart Care Pack is very effective as it contains the natural herbs that strengthen the weak heart muscles and also helps in the removal of plaque deposition.
Heart Care Pack of Planet Ayurveda consists of:
- Arjuna Capsules
- Arjuna Tea
- Total Heart Support Capsule
- Planet Ayurveda’s Arjuna Capsules contain the standardized extract of the bark of the herb Terminalia arjuna
- The bark of Arjun tree has been used over centuries as cardio tonic. The anti-oxidants present in this herb provide strength to the heart muscles and prevent fatigue and blockage. The flavonoids present in Arjuna capsules help in keeping the heart strong.
- The bark of Arjuna is also rich in minerals such as calcium, copper, magnesium, zinc that are helpful in maintaining the proper functioning of the heart. Arjun is also known to possess analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties.
Dose: 2 capsules two times a day regularly with plain water.
2. Arjun Tea:
- The concept of Arjun Tea is based on preparation as described in Ayurvedic texts as “Ksheer Pak”. Ksheer Pak means the herbs are boiled in milk and water to get the water soluble and fat soluble liquid extracts from the herbs to get the maximum benefits.
- Arjun tea is an effective remedy for all the heart problems such as pain in the chest, high triglyceride levels, congestive heart failure, coronary artery blockage, and other heart problems.
Ingredients of Planet Ayurveda’s Arjun Tea
Each 5 gm. contains
|Indian Name||Botanical Name||Quantity|
|1.||Arjuna||Terminalia arjuna||3.20 gm|
|2.||Punarnava||Boerhavia diffusa||0.60 gm|
|3.||Pipal Tvak||Ficus religiosa||0.40 gm|
|4.||Dalchini||Cinnamomum zeylanicum||0.40 gm|
|5.||Chhoti Elaichi||Elettaria cardamomum||0.40 gm|
Dose: 2 cups daily.
3. Total Heart Support Capsules:
- Planet Ayurveda’s Total Heart Support Capsules contain the standardized extracts of the herbs that act as an effective natural treatment for the treatment of blocked coronary arteries, congestive heart failure, high cholesterol, fatigue, pain in the chest etc. These capsules give strength to the ailing heart muscles and support cardiac health by cleansing the blocked arteries. These capsules give good results in breathlessness due to the weakness of the heart muscles.
Ingredients of Total Heart Support Capsules
|Herb Used||Botanical Name||Quantity|
|1.||Arjuna||Terminalia arjuna||200 mg|
|2.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||100 mg|
|3.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||100 mg|
|4.||Shankhpushpi||Convovulvus pluricaulis||100 mg|
Dose: 2 capsules two times a day with plain water after meals.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Lifestyle modifications have been shown to have a significantly beneficial effect on reducing the incidence and severity of cardiovascular disorders.
Ayurveda recommends changes in diet and lifestyle as the first step to reduce the risk factors associated with angina pectoris.
- Reduce saturated fats and carbohydrates in the diet because it increases the risk of cardio-vascular diseases.
- Low salt diet is also recommended.
- Cutting down tea/coffee and dairy products is advised.
- Mild exercise such as walking on the plane surface is advised.
- Meditation and yoga-asana such as Shavasana are helpful in managing stress and restoring tranquility.