The bulged disc is commonly known as a protruding disc or slipped disc. Our spine consists of 24 vertebrae, every two vertebrae are interconnected by a disc which acts as a shock absorber and cushion between them. The lumbar, the lower back portion of the body bears almost 80% weight of the human body. The cushion of the disc between the vertebrae protect the vertebrae from rubbing together and also helps to make movement easier. The disc has hard casing and liquid-like center, which helps in movement and any other physical activity. If any changes happens in the positioning of this disc then it result in an outward swelling of the fluid material. This situation happens over an extended period. As long as the condition is progressive, the worse symptoms will become.
The disc problem is due to many reasons such as age, injury, poor sitting posture, and heavy weight lifting.
Symptoms of Bulged Disc
the symptoms may vary according to the position of herniation.
- In the lumbar spine: Pain, numbness, tingling, burning and weakness in the lower back, legs, feet and buttocks.
- In the cervical spine: Pain, numbness, tingling, weakness in the neck, arms,hands and sometimes in the head.
- In thoracic spine: Pain in the upper back, which radiates through the chest and stomach.
Causes of Bulged Disc
- Age factor: Most people experience this problem at the age of 60-70.
- A physical injury such as accident, strain etc.
- Back or neck strain
- Poor posture and continuous sitting are also one of the reasons for the bulged disc.
- Heavy weight lifting cause imbalance in the musculature
Diet and Lifestyle
A healthy diet is not recommended only for the person who is suffering from any health issue but it is also good for a normal person. Diet is the main factor which is associated with our physiology. In the case of bulged disc anti-inflammatory food can helps to reduce the pain and swelling in the bones.
- Add Green leafy vegetables such as spinach, kale, cauliflower, capsicum and beans, broccoli. All these vegetables are fiber-rich and helpful in reducing inflammation due to its anti-inflammatory action and antioxidant properties reduce the oxidative damages.
- Avoid all citrus fruits such as lemon, oranges etc. because they may further cause pain.
- Apply heat and ice: Both have different properties. Heat increases the circulation around the affected area and soothes the sore muscles. While ice helps to reduce swelling, inflammation, and pain.
- Eat only healthy fats like nuts, oil such as extra virgin olive oil.
- Reduce salt consumption, caffeine consumption, and other soft drink and beverages consumption.
- Increase the calcium intake in your diet, add fish like salmon, almonds, tofu in your diet. Calcium mainly found in the dairy product but you should ensure that not to take buttermilk, instead of it you can take milk, yogurt, and cheese.
- Add eggs in your diet because they are a rich source of vitamin D3 that helps to absorb calcium in your body.
Ayurveda is the natural healing science which helps to make a balance between three doshas i.e. Kapha, Pitta and Vata. Ayurveda is the science of understanding yourself. The main reason behind the bulged disc is vitiated
Herbal Treatment for Bulging D
Planet Ayurveda recommends disc care pack for the treatment of bulged disc. The product contains four products which contain blends of natural herbs. The product is free from any side effects and also free from harmful preservative and additives. Other allopathic products contain lots of preservatives and chemicals which have many side effects on our body. So it’s a great advantage of this Planet Ayurveda product that it is 100% natural and free from chemicals.
- Boswellia curcumin
- Aamvatantak churna
- Hakam churna
- Yograj guggul
1. Boswellia curcumin
This product contains a mixture of two herbs such as shallaki (Boswellia serrata), Haridra (Curcuma longa). Both of these herbs act as an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant agent that provides relief from pain and inflammation in the affected areas. Boswellic acid in Boswellia helps to prevent the activity of leukotrienes that are associated with inflammation and other pain-related factors. Curcumin is the active compound of turmeric that helps to prevent the inflammatory action in the body and reduce the pain.
2. Aamvatantak churna
This churna contains blends of herbs such as Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha), Gorakhmundi (Sphaeranthus indicus), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Haridra (Curcuma longa), suranjaan (Colchicum autumnale), and Sonth (Zingiber officinale). Ashwagandha is good for brain functioning and also provides relief from stress and anxiety. Herb also contains anti-inflammatory properties that are effective for bulged disc. Methi helps to balance the elevated Vata dosha in the body which is the main reason behind the bulged disc problem.
3. Hakam churna
The main basic ingredient of this product are Chandershoor (Lepidium sativum), Kalonji (Nigella sativaa), Methi (Trigonella foenum graecum), Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi). All these ingredients have shown great anti-inflammatory properties that are effective during pain and numbness. Along with this property hakam churna also reduce the production of ama in the body and balance the vitiated Vata dosha.
4. Yograj guggul
The product contains blends of a number of herbs such as for as Commiphora mukul (Guggul), Trachyspermum ammi (Ajwain), Cyperus rotundus (Mustak), Plumbago zeylanica (Chitrak), Emblica Officinalis (Amla), Piper longum (Pippali), Zinger Officinale (Sonth). Terminalia bellirica (Bibhitaki), Terminalia chebula (Haritaki), Embelia ribes (Vidanga), Rock salts, and Cuminum cyminum (Jeera). All these herbs are very helpful for providing relief from pain and also balances the aggravated vata dosha in the body. Yograj guggul provides strength to the body muscles and also relaxes the muscles of affected areas.
- Boswellia curcumin: 1-1 capsules twice daily after your meal
- Aamvatantak churna: 1-1 teaspoon is taken with plain water twice after your meal
- Hakam churna: 3-5 grams of powder should be taken with hot water, twice daily after meals.
- Yograj guggul: 2-2 capsules twice daily after your meal.
DISC CARE PACK is the herbal combo pack provided by Planet Ayurveda and it is the best treatment for slip disc or bulged disc problem. This pack contains blends of a number of herbs which shows its great effects on the body and you will get relief from pain and inflammation in the vertebrae.