What is Ulcerative Colitis?
Ulcerative colitis is a disease of gastro-intestinal tract in which the internal lining of the entire colon is eroded and leads to ulceration, which occurs due to improper lifestyle and dietary habits and individual who shows the symptoms like – frequently passing loose stools, blood and pain in abdomen etc. According to Ayurveda it is a Pitta pradhan tridoshas
- Aahara Karana (Dietary habits) – Excessive intake of spicy, salty, sour, pungent and hot foodstuffs like – chilli, tomato, brinjal, pineapple and all the junk foods.
- Vihara karana (Lifestyle behavior) – If individual follows the lifestyle like – sleeping at daytime awakening at night, lack of exercise and sedentary lifestyle.
- Mansik karana (Mental status) – Stress and strains are the per-disposing factors for all the diseases.
- Vanshaj karana (Hereditary) – Ulcerative colitis is also one among the diseases which will rundown in generation to generations.
- Aushadhi (Medications) – There are some medications, if used for long time, they erode the internal mucosa of intestine.
- Few risk factors like –
a) Addiction of
Those individuals who are already at risk if consumed these things in excess then there is an erosion of the internal lining of the gastro-intestinal tract. Those individuals who are already at risk who are:
c) Have low immunity
How a Person Can Understand Whether They Are Suffering from Ulcerative Colitis or Not?
Patients of ulcerative colitis represent the following symptoms –
- Frequently passing loose stools
- Blood and mucous mixed stools
- Abdominal pains
- Burning sensation in stomach
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Increased gurgling sounds
How We Can Manage the Condition with Herbal Remedies at Home Itself?
Mostly everybody is having a pharmacy at their homes, none other than their kitchen and kitchen garden. Only the thing is we don’t know the correct use of these herbs, shrubs and creepers etc. As it is a pitta dosha and agni vitiated disease, we are going to balance agni and eliminating out vitiated pitta from the body. Hence, we need to choose the drugs which has pitta nisarka (eliminating) and agni vardhak (increasing) property. So that drugs are –
1. Kutaj (Holarrhena Antidysentrica)
2. Bilva (Aegle Marmelos)
Fruit of bilva is very effective in treating diarrhea. As it also has grahi and stambhak properties, it retains the essential nutrients in our body. It reduces the frequency of loose stools by managing Vata dosha in our body as peristalsis is the function of vata dosha.
3. Saunf (Fennel Seeds)
It has anti-inflammatory properties and also a very good appetizer.
4. Vasa (Adhatoda Vasaka)
Vasa is also cold in potency; hence it manages blood mixed
5. Guduchi (Tinospora Cordifolia)
Guduchi is a
6. Arjuna (Terminalia Arjuna)
Arjuna has homeostatic property and cold in
7. Punarnava (Boerhavia diffiusa)
The name of this herb itself mentioned the action of this drug. Punar means again and nava means new, that means it rejuvenates the tissues especially the red blood corpuscles again. As in this condition blood loss is observed, it is used to balance the reduced blood level in the body. It also helps to eliminate the vitiated pitta from the body.
8. Dhania (Coriander)
Coriander is an herb which is cold in potency, hence effective to manage acidity.
9. Dadima / Anaar (Pomegranate)
It is a good digestive fruit which helps to maintain
10. Choti Elachi (Cardamom)
It has digestive and appetizing properties.
Because of its anti- diarrheal property, it is helpful in this condition.
12. Amla (Indian Gooseberry)
Amla is an anti-oxidant and also supports digestion. Thus, it helps to rejuvenate and reform the inner mucous lining of the entire colon. It also acts as a catalyst, with the combination of other medicines, it enhances the action of that herbs.
It acts as an analgesic, hence manages abdominal pain.
It is also cooling in nature, which helps to manage the burning sensation of the colon, and also increases the hemoglobin level in our body.
What Precautions Should Be Taken While Following These Home Remedies?
One should have proper knowledge of regimens while following these remedies
- Increase your water intake.
- Those who complains of constipation, should take fiber rich diet.
- Do not skip meals, maintain a proper time interval in between every meals.
- Do not take heavy meals, instead of that take light and small meals.
- Avoid dry, spicy and hot foodstuffs.
- Avoid blood thinners if you have blood mixed stools.
- Consume buttermilk instead of Yogurt.
- Avoid Alcohol, smoking etc. as it further worsens the condition.
- Add yoga in your daily routine.