In this shloka qualities of vata dosha are explained.
Vata dosha is dry (rooksha), light (laghu), cold (Sheeta), instable (daruna), coarse (khara) rough and non-sliminess (vishada) in nature.
(Reference: Charak samhita (Sutra sthan) Chapter-12 and shloka-4)
Iselin disease is a painful irritation and inflammation of the growth plate at the base of the 5th metatarsal (foot bone) where one of the calf muscles inserts. There is a traction apophysitis of the tuberosity of the fifth metatarsal. In a child, this bone grows from areas which are called growth plates which are made up of cartilage and is more vulnerable to injury than mature bone. This disease is most commonly seen in physically active boys and girls between the ages of 8 to 13. It is most commonly seen in children involved in basketball, soccer, gymnastics, and dance.
This growth plate at the 5th metatarsal may be fused by about 12 years of age in girls and 14 years of age in boys, once this growth plate fuses, it usually resolves itself uneventfully.
What are the Main Causes of Iselin Disease?
- Iselin disease is caused due to the repetitive pressure or tension on the growth center at the base of the fifth metatarsal. Jumping and running generates a huge amount of pressure on the forefoot. Tightening of the calf muscles is at a greater risk for Iselin disease because these may increase the tension on the growth center.
- Abnormal foot posture can also contribute to the development of Iselin disease.
- Unsupportive and low-quality foot wears may also be a contributing factor for Iselin disease.
What are the Symptoms of Iselin Disease?
- The child may walk on the inside of the foot to relieve pressure at the growth center. There may be localized pain, swelling, redness and warmth at the growth center on the outside of the foot.
- Pain along the outer edge of the foot that gets worse with activity and improves with rest. The growth center may be red, enlarged and painful to touch. A limp on the affected part may be present.
Some Useful Tips
- Do proper warm-up before starting any activity such as light jogging, calisthenics or cycling before doing any practice or activity will increase the circulation to the cold muscles, making them warm and pliable so that there are less stress and tension on the affected sites.
- Wear comfortable and fit shoes that are appropriate for the activity.
- Stretch your muscles group. The ideal time to stretch the muscles is before the exercises.
- Don’t do any sports activity or play during pain as pain is the sign of injury, overuse or any stress. Rest is necessary to allow the injury to heal in a proper time.
Natural Treatment for Iselin Disease
Plant Ayurveda provides best and effective formulations for the treatment of Iselin disease such as Iselin care pack. This pack contains several formulations that are highly effective and 100 % pure and consists of several valuable and pure herbs with no coloration added and are free from chemicals, colors, and additives. These formulations have no side effects and are comfortable to use.
1. Boswellia Curcumin
Boswellia Curcumin is the most effective formulation for arthritis. This formulation is prepared from the extracts and tree resins of the Boswellia serrata or Boswellia carteri and Curcuma longa. Boswellia serrata contains 15 triterpene acids. This herb improves the biochemical structure of cartilages by increasing the blood supply towards the joint tissues. These capsules suppress the inflammation which is the main underlying cause of pain in Iselin disease. The Curcumin present in it contains anti-oxidants that not only supports the movements of the joints but also exerts the neuroprotective activity. This powerful combination of Boswellia and Curcumin promotes the health of joints and boosts up the immune system.
Dosage: 2 capsules two times a day daily with plain water after meals.
2. Yograj Guggul
According to Ayurveda, this disease is caused by the aggravated Vata dosha and accumulation of ama in the 5th metatarsal of the feet. These tablets alleviate the vitiated Vata dosha and remove the ama (toxins) from the body. It also provides strength to the skeletal and neuromuscular system. It has antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-stimulant and anti-tumor activities. The main herbs present in it are Pippali, devdaru, chitraka, shudh Guggulu, ardaraka, haritaki, Amalaki, mustaka, etc. All these herbs prevent the joint damage which may result in deformities.
Dosage: 2 tablets thrice daily with plain water after meals.
3. Ashwagandha Capsules
Ashwagandha is a very effective nerve tonic that provides strength to the muscles and relieves the muscle spasm and fatigue, and also has a cooling effect on the nervous system. These capsules are formulated with the pure extract of ashwagandha. When it is consumed regularly, it improves the hemoglobin, hair melanin concentrations, RBCs and reduces the cholesterol level in the body. Its local application has very effective results in lymphadenopathy and other body parts which are inflamed. In Ayurveda, it is stated that this herb works as a Rasayana that rejuvenates the body and helps in the occurrence of early aging.
Dosage: 2 capsules to be taken twice with water after the intake of food.
4. Vrihat Vata Chintamani Ras
Vrihat Vata Chintamani ras is a classical Ayurvedic formulation that is considered as the effective treatment for the imbalanced Vata dosha in the body. These tablets are prepared from these effective ingredients such as Mukta bhasma, Loh bhasma, Suta bhasma, Rajata bhasma, abhraka bhasma and juice extract of Aloe Vera. These ingredients provide strength to the nerves and balance the Tridoshas and improve blood circulation. According to the Ayurveda system of medicine, it balances the trido0shas in the body and prevents the ama accumulation.
Dosage: 2 tablets to be taken thrice with water after the intake of food.
5. Orthovita Oil
As per its name indicates it is used to treat joint pain and stiffness. As per Ayurvedic system of medicine, this disease is caused due to the accumulation of ama (toxins) in the body and is characterized by severe pain and stiffness in muscles and joints. The main ingredients present in it are camphor, tarpin oil, shulgajendra oil, gandhpura oil, prasarini oil, etc. This oil provides strength and relieves the pain as well as stiffness in the joints.
Dosage: This oil is used only for local application. Apply this oil on the affected areas.