Reactive arthritis is a form of arthritis affecting eyes, joints, skin and urethra. It was formerly known as Reiter’s syndrome which is manifested through signs and symptoms appearing in different parts of the body. These symptoms may appear on different parts at different times and appearance of symptoms may be sudden or slow and severe with frequent aggravations.
Sexually active males of age 25-35 age are more prone to it, particularly who are suffering from HIV are at highest risk of getting it. It is usually triggered by an infection in any other part of the body like genitals, intestines or urinary tract infection. Reactive arthritis is not a common infection and may also disappear on its own within 12 hours.
Ayurvedic Perspective of Reactive arthritis:
It is considered an Aamavata disease in Ayurveda. There is vitiation of the Vata dosha. As per Ayurveda, due to the deposition of the ama, an endotoxin, the body’s immune system tries to remove it during which the body’s cells also get damaged. This causes inflammation and degeneration in the bones and other parts of the body resulting in reactive arthritis.
Meaning- Ama is heavy in nature and hence difficult to digest. It is unctuous resembling to fat and Kapha. It has thread like appearance and many colors, also bad smell.
Reference- Charak Samhita, Sutrasthan, chapter 2, shloka no. 13
What can be the causes of Reactive arthritis?
- Usually, an infection is followed by the appearance of this disease but as it is not so common, a genetic predisposition is suspected to play a part behind the occurrence of reactive arthritis. During studies, many of the affected individuals have tested positive for HLA-B27. Infection by Chlamydia trachomatis in sexually active males is usually found in cases of reactive arthritis. Also in some cases infections can occur by salmonella, shigella, or Yersinia. The only preventive measure for reactive arthritis is using condoms during sexual intercourse, so that sexually transmitted diseases are prevented.
What can be the signs and symptoms of Reactive Arthritis?
Initially if there is inflammation of urethra then symptoms are like pain during urinating and discharge from the penis. In case if intestines are affected then diarrhea is the first symptom. Approximately after1 month, following those symptoms arthritis appear in toes, fingers, hips, ankles and knee joints. Usually one or two joints are affected at a time. Other symptoms are:
- Ulcers in mouth
- Back pain due to the involvement of sacroiliac joint
- Inflammation of the eyes
- Inflammation of tendons and ligaments resulting in pain
- Increased frequency of urine
- Inflammation of prostate or cervix
- Swelling in toes and fingers
- Rashes on palms and soles
How can Reactive arthritis be diagnosed?
- Often a diagnosis of reactive arthritis is confused with other conditions having similar signs and symptoms. It is usually diagnosed when there is a history of inflammation of eyes with arthritis or urinary tract infection for around a month. However, there are no specific tests for the diagnosis of reactive arthritis but the urethral discharge can be sent for the culture in order to diagnose the disease. Stool tests can also be done and blood tests of reactive arthritis patients are mostly positive for the HLA-B27 gene.
- Usually, there are no changes seen in x-rays but if the inflammation is recurrent there can be seen signs of osteoporosis and bone loss.
Herbal Remedies by Planet Ayurveda for Reactive arthritis:
Planet Ayurveda is one of the most fast growing Ayurvedic clinics which has come up with an amazing combination to treat reactive arthritis naturally and safely. These herbal remedies are made from best quality of herbs in an expertise supervision of Dr. Vikram Chauhan (MD) Ayurveda. These are completely pure ayurvedic herbal remedies manufactured according to the strict Ayurvedic principles. No chemicals, additives, preservatives, dyes, fillers or additives are added in them making it completely safe to be taken by anyone even for a long time.
- As there are certain symptoms like oral ulcers and weak digestive system which show that there is an imbalance of the Pitta dosha. These herbal capsules are made from Pitta balancing compounds like Praval pishti (Coral calcium), Akik Pishti (Agate calcium), Jawar mohra pishti, Kamdudha ras, Mukta pishti (Pear calcium) and Giloy satv (Tinospora cordifolia extract). It helps to treat skin manifestation in reactive arthritis and prevents ama formation by illuminating the digestive fire.
Dosage– Take 1 capsule twice daily after meals with plain water
- It is a natural antibiotic which prevents and treats infections and in the case of reactive arthritis Varunadi vati helps to treat infections of urinary tract and intestines. It is the best herbal remedy to treat urinary tract infections and helps in the proper functioning of the urinary tract. Herbs like Varun (Crataeva nurvala ), Punarnava (Boerhavia diffusa), Gokshur (Tribulus terrestris) and Shuddha guggulu (Commiphora mukul) are used to manufacture these herbal tablets.
Dosage– Take 2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water.
- These are the herbal capsules prepared from amazing group of herbs which act as natural anti-tumor, antibacterial and stimulant. Its main action is to maintain the functioning of the joints and ligaments along with intervertebral joints. Yograj guggul capsules helps to relieve the back pain and other joint ailments in reactive arthritis.
Dosage- Take 2 capsules twice daily after meals with plain water.
- It is an ancient remedy used since ages and described in authentic piece of literature of Ayurveda. In the case of reactive arthritis it helps to treat low back pain and urinary tract infections. Chanderprabha vati helps in relieving the frequency of the urination and pain during urination. These herbal remedies have a calming and soothing effect on the body. It is prepared from numerous herbs like Shilajit (Asphaltum), karpoor (Cinnamomum camphora), Vacha (Acorus calamus), Mustak (Cyprus rotundus) etc.
Dosage- Take 2 tablets twice daily after meals with plain water.