As Per Modern Aspect
Chronic gastritis is a condition in which there is an inflammation of the stomach lining. It is most often the result of infection with the bacteria that causes stomach ulcers and an increased risk of stomach cancer. It may occur suddenly or slowly with time. The acid present in the stomach is enough to damage the stomach lining. That’s why stomach lining secretes mucus to protect itself. The precancerous changes in the cells can lead to cancer if it is left untreated.
As Per Ayurvedic Aspect
Chronic gastritis is correlated with Amlapitta. It is caused due to the vitiation of Pitta dosha.
What Are The Types Of Chronic Gastritis?
There are several types of chronic gastritis:
- Type A: It is caused when the immune system destroys the stomach cells. It can increase the risk of vitamin deficiencies, anemia, and cancer.
- Type B: This common type is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacteria and can cause intestinal ulcers, stomach ulcers, and cancer.
- Type C: It is caused by chemical irritants such as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), alcohol or bile. This can cause bleeding and erosion of the stomach lining.
Other types are giant hypertrophic gastritis which can be related to deficiency of protein.
What Are The Causes Of Chronic Gastritis?
Following causes can irritate the lining of the stomach and can lead to chronic gastritis:
- Excessive consumption of alcohol.
- Presence of bacteria such as H. pylori is the most common cause of chronic gastritis.
- Diseases such as kidney failure and diabetes can cause chronic gastritis.
- Long-term use of medications such as aspirin can cause both acute and chronic gastritis.
- Stress: Continued mental stress or injury, burns or any severe infections can cause gastritis
- Bile reflux can cause chronic gastritis.
- Weak immune system
What Are The Symptoms Of Chronic Gastritis?
Symptoms of chronic gastritis are:
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Upper abdominal pain
- Dark stool
How To Deal With Chronic Gastritis Effectively
Chamomile is very helpful in treating chronic gastritis. This herb contains certain essential oils that are beneficial for the digestive system. It provides relief from symptoms related to gastritis such as abdominal pain, vomiting, nausea, loss of appetite, etc. It reduces inflammation thus reduces the risk of ulcer formation.
Steps To Follow:-
- Add 1 to 2 teaspoons of dried chamomile flowers in a cup of hot water.
- Steep it for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Strain and add some honey to it.
- Drink this tea several times daily for 1 to 2 weeks.
Ginger has an anti-inflammatory property that reduces the inflammation and also acts as an anti-bacterial that kills the bacteria which cause chronic gastritis. This herb alleviates the symptoms such as indigestion, stomach pain, acidity, abdominal bloating and nausea.
Steps to follow:-
- Add one teaspoon of freshly chopped ginger root in a cup of boiling water.
- Steep it for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add some honey to it and drink this tea daily.
- Consume it 2 to 3 times a day for about 1 to 2 weeks.
3. Yogurt And Asafoetida (Hing)
Addition of yogurt in a regular diet will help in reducing symptoms associated with chronic gastritis. It contains probiotic which help in protecting the stomach lining from H. pylori that cause gastritis. It also enhances the immunity of the body.
Steps To follow:-
- Consume 2 to 3 cups of yogurt on a daily basis to get relief from the pain and other complications related to it.
- Add one pinch of hing for the effective results.
- Prepare a smoothie using banana and yogurt and also add honey to it.
- Consume this thrice daily for better results.
4. Holy Basil (Tulsi)
Holy basil is an amazing herb used in Ayurveda for the treatment of chronic gastritis. This herb has an anti-inflammatory and anti-microbial activity that provides tremendous relief from the irritation of gastritis.
Steps To Follow:-
Chew 4 to 5 leaves of holy basil and do this daily for at least 2 to 3 weeks.
- Take some holy basil leaves and steep them in hot water for 3 to 4 minutes.
- Strain it and let it cool down.
- Add some honey to it and drink it.
Licorice is highly beneficial for the treatment of chronic gastritis. It reduces inflammation and relieves symptoms such as heartburn, indigestion etc.
Steps To Follow:-
- Add one teaspoon of licorice powder to a cup of hot water.
- Steep it for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Drink it 2 to 3 times a day.
6. Fennel Seeds
Fennel seeds relax the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract and soothe the digestive system. Due to its antispasmodic, antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties it helps in reducing symptoms such as nausea, heartburn, loss of appetite etc.
Steps To Follow:-
- Add one teaspoon of fennel seeds in a cup of boiling water.
- Let it steep for 10 to 15 minutes and then strain it.
- Add a little honey to it and drink it 2 to 3 times a day.
7. Coriander, Fennel And Cumin
These herbs are very effective in treating chronic gastritis.
- Take 1/4th of each coriander, cumin, and fennel. (Dhaniya, Jeera and saunf)
- Boil all these herbs in about 400 ml.
- Boil this until it reduces to 50 ml.
- Filter it and drink this decoction twice daily.
SOME ADDITIONAL TIPS
- Drink 2 cups of coconut water daily.
- Quit smoking and reduce the consumption of alcohol.
- Drink green tea regularly.
- Avoid consumption of red meat, tea, coffee, sour food, red peppers, etc as these may irritate the stomach lining.
- Avoid the intake of dairy products until the digestive system is healed.
- Eat dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Avoid drinking water with meals.
- Intake of supplements of vitamins B12, C and E that heal the body quickly.
- Maintain a properly balanced diet.