Bipolar Disease is one of the world’s disabling condition characterized by chronic recurring illness associated with substantial morbidity and mortality. Bipolar disease is characterized by recurrent episodes of mania and depression in the same patient.
It is also known as manic-depressive illness which is a psychiatric disorder characterized by periods of elevated moods followed by the depression.
What is the Ayurvedic Perspective of Bipolar Disease?
All psychiatric disorders in Ayurveda are characterized under Unmada. Unmada disorders are related to manas (disturbances in mind), buddhi (intellect), smriti (memory), cheshta (psychomotor activity), achara (conduct).
- It is classified into five types according to Ayurveda such as Vataja, Pittaja, Kaphaja, Sannipataja and Bhootanmada or Agantuja.
- The symptoms may vary depending upon the type of bipolar disorder such as Vataja unmada is characterized by inappropriate behaviours such as laughing without any reason, excessive talking etc.
- In Pittaja Unmada, patient may experience anger, restlessness, hostility etc.
- In Kaphaja Unmada, there are symptoms such as loss of appetite, excessive sleepiness, solitude etc. are the main features.
In addition to imbalance of doshas, patients of bipolar disorder have low ojas which leads to mood changes under stress.
What are the Signs and Symptoms of Bipolar Disorder?
There is an alternating pattern of emotional highs (mania) and lows (depression). The signs and symptoms may vary and there may be periods of normal behaviour also.
Some Signs and Symptoms are:
- Manic Phase: Increased energy level, extreme optimism and inflamed self esteem, rapid speech, raising thoughts, agitation etc.
- Depressive Phase: Feelings of sadness, anxiety, hopelessness or guilt, loss of interest in activities etc.
- Psychosis: Common psychotic symptoms include hallucinations such as hearing or seeing the things that are not actually there, delusions etc.
- Hypomania: Mild level of mania is known as hypomania.
- Mixed bipolar State: When there are symptoms of mania and depression, this state is known as mixed bipolar state. The symptoms include trouble in sleeping, significant changes in appetite, suicidal thoughts etc.
- Suicidal thoughts: Suicidal thoughts may also accompany bipolar disorder.
Diagnosis and Treatment
There are no specific tests that can diagnose bipolar disorder. The physicians diagnose it on the basis of signs and symptoms.
Modern treatment prescribes medications such as anti-seizure medications, anti-depressants, antipsychotic drugs, benzodiazepines for the treatment.
Psychotherapy is most often used simultaneously with medications.
What is the Treatment of Bipolar Disorder According to Ayurveda?
Ayurveda uses various herbs for bipolar disorder that are adaptogenic in nature and help in treating both mania and depression.
How Planet Ayurveda Helps in Bipolar Disorder?
Planet Ayurveda offers herbal remedies that help in balancing the vitiated doshas by normalizing the production of neuro-transmitters. These herbal remedies help in bipolar disorder by rejuvenating brain and nervous system and also increasing ojas as the low ojas causes the instability and allows the movement of thoughts.
Planet Ayurveda Offers Herbal Remedies Such as:
1. Brahmi Capsules
2. Stress Support Capsules
3. Medhya Churna
1. Brahmi Capsules:
Brahmi is a
Dose: 1 capsule twice daily with plain water after meals.
2. Stress Support Capsules:
Stress Support Capsules of Planet Ayurveda contain the standardized extracts of the herbs that are known to calm and relax the mind and also prevent oxidative damage in the body due to depression in bipolar patients. These herbs are useful in neutralizing the chemicals that are released in the body during fearful, angry and negative thoughts. Thus, these capsules are very helpful for the patients suffering
Ingredients of Stress Support Capsules are:
|Sr. No.||Herb Used||Botanical Name||Part Used||Quantity|
|1.||Ashwagandha||Withania somnifera||Root||200 mg|
|2.||Tagar||Valeriana wallichii||Root||200 mg|
|3.||Brahmi||Bacopa monnieri||Whole||100 mg|
Dose: 2 capsules twice daily with plain water after meal.
3. Medhya Churna:
Medhya Churna is a wonderful product of Planet Ayurveda which contains various herbs that have been used for brain and mental health since ages. This herbal formulation is globally used as nerve tonic which helps in enhancing mental clarity and relieve anxiety, stress
Ingredients used in the preparation of Medhya Churna are:
|Sr. No.||Botanical Name||Common Name||Parts||Quantity|
|1.||Acorus calamus||Vacha||Roots||50 gm|
|2.||Withania somnifera||Ashwagandha||Roots||5 gm|
|3.||Carum roxburghiam||Ajmoda||Seeds||5 gm|
|4.||Cuminum cyminum||Shwet Jeerak||Seeds||5 gm|
|5.||Carum carvi||Krishna Jeerak||Seeds||5 gm|
|6.||Zingiber offiicinale||Sonth||Rhizome||5 gm|
|7.||Piper nigrum||Marich||Fruits||5 gm|
|8.||Piper longum||Pipali||Fruits||5 gm|
|9.||Cissampelos pareira||Patha||Whole||5 gm|
|10.||Convulvulus plurics||Shankhpushpi||Whole||5 gm|
|11.||Bacopa monneiri||Brahmi||Whole||5 gm|
Dose: 1 tsp with plain water twice daily.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Fresh fruits and their juices, sprouts, nuts, honey, clarified butter (cow’s ghee), buttermilk are considered good for increasing the sattva quality of mind.
- Avoid taking tea/coffee as it will lead to more Vata imbalance.
- Avoid non-vegetarian food, white flour products, white sugar products, deep fried foods, hot spices etc.
- Eat at regular times and lunch should be considered the main meal of the day.
- Practice Meditation for 15-20 minutes twice a day as it helps in relieving stress.
- Proper sleep is very important as it builds the ojas and pacifies Vata dosha and there is also a connection between mental health and deep sleep as it allows the mind to renew itself.
- Some breathing exercises are also useful for the patients suffering with bipolar disorder.
- Abhayanga or gentle massage especially on the head is also recommended.
- Listening light or soft music is also beneficial.