Scleroderma is an autoimmune disorder which affects the body in multi-system level and may bring changes in the skin, blood vessels, muscles, and internal organs. It can be either localized to the skin or gets spread to internal organs.
Scleroderma which is also known as crest syndrome or systemic sclerosis is an autoimmune disorder in which the connective tissues of the body are affected and is of unknown etiology. As the name indicates – sclero + derma – hardening of the skin is the main manifestation of the disease. As a result of hyperactivation of the immune system, the inner lining of the tiny blood vessels are damaged and the tissues are injured. This leads to fibrosis (scar tissue formation) and accumulation of collagen, making the skin and the lining of internal organs (especially kidney) thick and firm.
Females are more susceptible to scleroderma than males.
Scleroderma – Ayurvedic Approach
According to the Ayurvedic viewpoint, vitiation of Vata, P
Vata gets aggravated starts to move in wrong directions and gets obstructed by
Scleroderma symptoms begin with inflammatory signs (mainly due to aggravated pitta) and later lead to tightening or hardening of the skin (due to aggravated
Scleroderma is sometimes referred to as crest syndrome when it is accompanied with the following issues.
- Calcium deposits
- Reynaud’s disease
- Esophageal problems
- Thickening of the skin of fingers and toes
- Areas of small dilated blood vessels
Signs and Symptoms
- Raynaud’s phenomenon, palpitation, irregular heart rate, hypertension, fainting due to conduction abnormalities.
- GERD, bloating, anorexia, diarrhea alternating with constipation.
- Dry persistent cough, progressive worsening of shortness of breath.
- Muscle and joint aches, carpal tunnel syndrome, muscle weakness.
- Kidney failure, erectile dysfunction, dyspareunia.
- Trigeminal neuralgia, stroke, headache, weight loss.
Ayurvedic Treatment for Scleroderma
SCLERO CARE PACK
1. Ashwagandha Capsules
Planet Ayurveda’s Ashwagandha capsules contain a standardized extract of Withania
Combination of two wonderful ingredients
3. Gotukola Capsules
These are prepared from Mandukaparni herbal extract (Centella Asiatica). It is rich in antioxidants. Gotu kola helps to improve blood circulation and purify blood channels. It is an excellent brain tonic and also helps to relieve inflammation.
4. Sanjivani Vati
It is an amazing herbal preparation prepared out of Triphala (Amlaki,
5. Gandhak Rasayan
It is a potent anti-inflammatory formulation, prepared out of
Natural Ways and Diet to Manage Scleroderma
- Opt for an alkaline diet. Avoid foods which cause heat production. Onion and garlic– it is better to avoid the intake of both if you have scleroderma. But its topical application on the hardened skin works. Both have anti-oxidant properties and help to soften the skin.
- Lemon + honey – topical application of this mixture can work wonders. Lemon helps to eliminate
the freeradicals. Honey is a natural emollient. Avoid internal intake that may further aggravate condition.
- Turmeric – its topical application and intake with a glass of milk (low fat) or water
ismagical. Turmeric helps to eliminate free radicals in the body. Turmeric is a natural anti-oxidant.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol.
- Avoid heavy and packed foods.
- Drink plenty of water, coconut water is also a good option to calm body heat.
- Protect your skin. Avoid harsh soaps and chemicals. Moisturize your skin with herbal products.
- Reduce joint pain by low impact exercises and physical therapy.
- Include healing foods in your diet. These include fresh vegetables like spinach, asparagus, beets and carrots, cucumbers and mushrooms.
- Practice simple breathing exercise,