Jatamansi (Spikenard) is an ancient Ayurvedic medicinal herb. It belongs to Valerianaeae family which grows in high altitudes of Himalayas in India, Nepal and China. It is also known as muskroot or Nardostachys Jatamansi, Nard or Nardin. “Jata” means dread locks and “Manasi” indicates toward humans. The underground stem of the plant is used for its medicinal qualities.
The herb is known for its numerous health benefits especially for women. The anti-oxidant, antimicrobial, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties of the herb makes it a suitable remedy for all kinds of problems ranging from hair growth, fight against depression and stress. It is known to improve cognitive function and sleep and also supports digestion and boosts immunity.
Jatamansi herb is traditionally crushed and refined into oil that is used for medicines, and as perfumes/ deodorants. It is used nowadays in the form of Spikenard oil extracted by steam distillation of the resin obtained from the plant and as oral medicine. It is also available in the form of root and powder. The stem in powdered form is to be consumed with honey, ghee or Luke warm water.
The herb had earthy soil like the smell, which made it very useful in aromatherapy as a sedative and calming agent.
Surprising Health Benefits Of Jatamansi:
The herb has some of the surprising health benefits of Jatamansi are listed below:
- The first and most important benefit of Jatamansi is that it promotes hair growth and stopping hair fall. The oil helps to make hair grow longer, thicker and healthier. It also prevents the hair from graying quickly due to its blood purifying properties. The oil is an excellent remedy to treat dandruff and scalp dryness due to its antiseptic properties.
- Insomnia may be due to lack of exercise, poor digestion, anxiety and stress. Jatamansi helps in relieving the tension in the body, calm down the emotions and helps the person to sleep sound
Reduces Stress and used as an anti-depressant:
- Jatamansi is a natural stress buster and mood improver herb due to its apoptogenic effects on the body. It is very useful in treating headaches associated with stress. The oil has a calming effect on the body and mind as it cools down the body’s heat and calms down a restless or angry mind. The antioxidant property of Jatamansi helps in reducing oxidative stress and brings overall stress level down. It is a natural sedative to promote overall relaxation.
- Jatamansi is an excellent natural skin tonic to improve complexion and make skin glowing. It heals cuts and wounds. Also help in itchy and dry skin. It fights bacterial infections and herpes and helps in taking care of rashes, or burning sensation on the skin. It is an excellent blood purifier as it balances the Pitta dosha in the body.
- The anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties of Jatamansi helps in fighting bad bacteria from growing inside or outside the body thus treats all kinds of skin diseases including psoriasis. The oil also heals fungal infections like toenail fungus and athlete’s foot.
- Jatamansi oil can be topically applied onto the face to get rid of the dirt that clog the pores and acne causing bacteria.
Improves memory and concentration:
- Jatamansi is a natural brain nervine tonic and a memory enhancer. It is a brain booster herb if taken on a regular basis.
- Jatamansi is an Ayurvedic Laxative thus it helps in relieving constipation and also prevents bloating. It is excellent for gut bio health.
- Jatamansi is very helpful in lowering High blood pressure by dilating the arteries. Both diastolic and systolic blood pressure is reduced due to the herb’s diuretic and anti-oxidant properties.
- It also works as an ACE inhibitor, the ACE increases blood pressure by causing the blood vessel to constrict. It also helps in regulating the glucose levels in the blood thus preventing insulin resistance and aiding in preventing diabetes.
Aids in Neurodegenerative diseases like Alzheimer:
- Jatamansi contains two iridoids and compounds that protect the brain from neuronal cell death.
Control Asthma attack:
- Jatamansi has a bronchodilator effect which helps in dilating the bronchi and bronchioles, thus reduces the respiratory airway resistance and improves the airflow to the lungs. The herb also has an antispasmodic effect that controls bronchial spasms which causes the smooth muscles to constrict and narrow the airways.
- The swelling and inflammation of the pancreas can be managed using Jatamansi herb. It helps in preventing the leakage of enzymes such as amylase and lipase into the blood.
- Inflammation is directly linked to various diseases like asthma, heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol,arthritis, Crohn’s disease,. The anti-inflammatory property of Jatamansi makes it beneficial in relieving inflammation in all parts of the body.
Protects the heart:
- The oil has anti-convulsive and anti-arrhythmic activities, which is very helpful in reducing heart palpitations and hysteria symptoms. Just two drops of Jatamansi oil for a warm foot bath helps in easing the condition.
Other benefits include
- Jatamansi treats Epilepsy, convulsion, hysteria and seizures, it also treats Chronic Fatigue.
- Jatamansi has been called a woman’s herb since centuries. It was traditionally used for supporting female reproductive organs like uterus and ovaries.
- It is useful in stimulating, cleansing and treating inflammation of the uterus. It balances the production of estrogen and progesterone secreted by the ovaries. It supports hormonal health, relieves cramps and eases the pain during periods due to its antispasmodic and emmenagogue characteristics.
- It also makes the menstrual cycle regular. It also helps in treating bacterial infections in the urinary tract infection.
Fights cancer and protects against radiations:
- Jatamansi is known for its anti-cancer effects. It is very useful in breast cancer treatment as it promotes cell death and stops the cell cycle of breast cancer cells.
In short, this herb is an excellent remedy to treat sleep disorders, insomnia, chronic stress, chronic fatigue, depression, anxiety, and nervous disorders like epilepsy. It is also used as an aphrodisiac to cure impotence.
- Pregnant women, breast feeding mothers should avoid consuming Jatamansi due to possible repercussions it can cause.