Neem is an herbal plant which has many medicinal properties and has been used since ages in Ayurveda. The whole plant is useful, its roots, bark, gum, leaves, and flowers are used in different ways and are equally beneficial. The botanical name of Neem is Azadirachta indica and is from Meliaceae family. Neem (Azadirachta indica) is a miracle herb and also known as wonder leaves because of the qualities present in it and its uses. Today in the market we have many products which are made of neem especially in the cosmetic section. We have neem soap, creams, juices, and oil which are loaded with all qualities that neem as an herb has.
The Medicinal Properties of Neem are
- Rasa – Taste- Bitter (Tikta) and Astringent (Kashaya)
- Guna – Qualities- Light to digest (Laghu), Dry (Rooksha)
- Vipaka – Pungent taste after digestion- Katu- Vipaka
- Veerya – Cold potency cold by nature
What is the Medicinal Value of Neem Tree?
- Leaf – Cures the skin ailments like eczema and psoriasis.
- Bark – Food additive and a pitta pacifier due to its
- Twig – Oral health
. Oil– Treat skin ailments and other health issues.
Neem is Full of Benefits, Here Are Its Benefits According to Ayurveda
- Sheeta – Nimba imparts cooling qualities to the body
- Laghu – Undergoes the digestion and absorption very easily and quickly.
- Grahi – Help in absorbing moisture from the intestines.
- Katu – Undergoes pungent taste after digestion
- Tikta – Has a bitter taste
- Agnikrut – Improves digestion
- Vatakrut – Increases Vata
- Krumihara – Eliminates worms
- Vranahara – Cleans and heals the wound
- Pitta-kaphahara – Balances Pitta and Kapha doshas
- Vishanut – Natural detoxifier
- Arochaka and Kushtanut – Relieves skin disease and anorexia.
As we know Neem is loaded with antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, blood purifier, anti-inflammatory, cooling, and oil control properties which makes it useful and beneficial for skin care.
Let’s discuss how Neem is helpful for skin and in which ways. For skin, neem is used in paste form, as juice, even as a soap.
1. Heals Scars
Neem has the properties which heal acne, pimples, burns, and wounds. When applied on the scars it lightens them.
How – Turmeric and neem powder mixed to make a paste and applied on the scars. It heals the scars and prevents infection.
2. Fights with Acne
Neem leaf when applied in the form of a paste, dry’s the popped acne and reduces the scar. When neem is taken in a form of syrup, removes the cause of acne.
How – Take fresh neem leaves with fresh tulsi, grind and make a paste with rose water. Apply the paste on the face and other parts where acne is present. The anti-bacterial property present in it helps to heal the acne naturally.
3. Oil Control
Having excessive oil on the face invites dust, impurities, toxins and leads to pimples, blackheads, and many more skin problems. Neem controls the excess production of oil.
How – Mix Neem paste with yogurt and lemon and apply on the face to control the excessive oil.
4. Treats Pigmentation
Neem purifies and cleans the skin and nourish it which lighten the present pigmentations also
How – Make a paste with neem powder and gram flour. Add lemon in it and use it as a pack on face and body. It lightens the pigmentation and also cleans the skin.
Neem has the quality to control excess oil and also provides moisture to the dry skin. The use of neem as a moisturizer nourishes and hydrates the skin.
How – Neem paste mixed with honey applied on the skin dried for 15 mins makes the skin hydrated
The leaves of neem are good exfoliator as it removes the dead skin. When it is used as a scrubber, removes the blackheads and clears the clogged pores.
How – Make a paste of neem with few drops of olive oil and use it as a scrub. Leave it as a pack and let it dry and clean it with lukewarm water. It helps to clean and purify the pores.
7. Clear and Glowing Skin
As we know the use of Neem clears, moisturize, nourish and hydrates the skin.
How – Paste of neem leaves and rose petals with rose water when applied as a pack gives soft, clear and nourished skin with glowing skin tone.
8. Treats Infection
Neem has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antifungal properties which cure skin disorders like- eczema, psoriasis, etc. The use of neem calms and soothes down the skin infection and its symptoms like- itching, burning, inflammation, and redness.
Neem has regenerative properties which slowdowns the process of aging.
How -When neem mixed with sandalwood powder is applied on the skin it rejuvenates the skin, soothes, cools, and keeps the causes which lead to aging away.
10. Treats the Scalp Infection
The above-mentioned properties of the Neem help to fight and treat all type of infection including the scalp.
How – When the scalp is massaged with neem paste it soothes the infection and the present anti-fungal property of neem cures the infection and dandruff.
When Neem is mixed with other ingredients and used as a Neem pack it is beneficial for our skin. Let’s discuss a few benefits of them
- Neem and Lemon Face Pack for Oily Skin – Astringent qualities that reduce oiliness and Neem help in killing bacteria and microbes.
- Neem and Papaya Face Mask for Face Whitening – lighten the blemishes, dark spots, and acne scars.
- Neem and Turmeric Face Pack for Dry Skin – Both of the ingredients have antibacterial and antifungal properties which cleanse the skin.
- Neem Face Pack with yogurt For Dark Spots – It cleans the skin, clears the acne scars, soothes the skin, and minimizes the rashes.
- Neem, Curd, And Gram Flour for Acne Scars – It removes the dead skin, clears the skin, nourishes, and removes the blemishes.
- Cucumber and Neem for Pimples and Scars – Cucumber has a cooling effect and the neem kills the bacteria and stops the growth of acne.
- Oatmeal, Milk, Honey and Neem for Anti-Aging Benefits – Provides vitamins and minerals to the skin and is a great scrub. The antioxidant property of it removes the fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging.
- Neem, Rosewater, And Sandalwood for Clear Skin – Reduces the fine lines, wrinkles, and other signs of aging. Controls the oil production, unclog the pores and reduce acne.
- Neem and Fuller’s Earth for Glowing Skin – Removes the dead skin and makes the skin smooth and nourish it.
- Neem Powder, Garlic, And Coconut Oil for Skin Infections – The present properties antibacterial, antifungal, antimicrobial, blood purifier, anti-inflammatory help to treat skin infection.