Manjistha or Rubia Cordifolia is also known as Indian madder which is a perennial climber and has been in use since long due to its bright red hue. The stems and roots are used to dye clothes red. Charaka (Ayurvedic Text) categorized Manjistha as varnya (that improves the complexion), jvarahara (relieves fever) and vishaghna (removes toxins). Manjistha has beautiful heart-shaped leaves, which are dark green in color, giving it the name cardifolia and demonstrating its affinity to the heart and circulatory system.
Manjistha has numerous health benefits predominantly linked to blood as blood regulator, blood purification (rakta shodhak) and smooth functioning of the lymphatic system.
It is also used as liver support. Manjistha is rich in nutrients like purpurin, munjistin, xanthopurpurin, and pseudopurpurin. Herbs when taken in the right quantity, right time, and according to one’s body type, helps to heal and nourish the body in a better way
How Can Manjistha Be Pitta And Kapha Pacifier?
- According to Ayurveda, lymph or rasa and blood or rakta are the first tissues that become congested when the body is not detoxifying properly. The smooth functioning of The lymphatic system is very important in draining the wastes from the body and regulating the immune system, else it leads to various diseases including skin disorders.
- Manjistha calms the aggravated pitta and breaks up the congested kapha, thus ensuring the smooth functioning of the lymphatic system and naturally boosts the immunity of the body.
- An imbalanced Pitta Dosha vitiates the blood and impairs its normal functioning leading to reddish, irritable skin, so Manjistha plays an important role by pacifying the Pitta Dosha.
- The same way an imbalanced Kapha Dosha leads to sluggishness and sticky bowel movement.
- It is lymph stagnation, which can be maintained by intake of Manjistha (mover of lymph).
- Manjistha has the ability to break down the blockages and stagnation within the entire circulation of blood and lymph and also helps to get rid of toxins (Ama).
What are the Medicinal Benefits of Manjistha?
Skin Treatment and Wound Healing (Kustha)
- Manjistha is excellent for treating skin disorders or allergies and improving the skin complexion. Manjistha is considered to be the best herb for the skin. Its application or consumption relieves acne, itching, eczema, psoriasis, discoloration, freckles, dermatitis, and herpes (in the bloodstream).
- Powdered dry roots and stem of this plant can be mixed with honey and applied on to the dark spots to give an even-toned complexion.
- Thus, it is a natural herbal skin lightening treatment. It inhibits the enzyme called tyrosinase that leads to the production of melanin. More melanin means darker skin.
- The pulp of the plant mixed with honey is a great remedy for acne. Manjistha helps in getting rid of bacteria Propinibacterium acne which leads to pimples.
- It is very useful in speedy healing of the wounds due to its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. It also promotes the healing of skin tissues damaged due to some injury or infection. The gel containing manjistha extract helps with tissue regeneration and wound closure.
- The oil from the herb can also be used to treat insect bites.
Supports Heart Health
- Manjistha helps to regulate cholesterol levels and maintain a healthy heart. It increases good cholesterol and decreases the bad one.
Female Reproductive System (Yoni Roga):
- This herb is very beneficial for females. It supports the female reproductive system, especially during the child birthing years. All menstrual problems like painful menstrual cycle, irregular periods, and amenorrhea can be taken care of by consuming Manjistha. It increases the uterine contractions and induces the menstrual flow. It also detoxes the breast milk. It is very useful in treating urinary tract infections.
- Manjistha is known to help in protecting the gums from receding.
Regulates Blood Pressure:
- The herb helps in preventing blood vessel constriction and blood clot formation. Thus, it helps in regulating normal blood pressure.
- Manjistha treats calcium deficiency thus leads to strong bones and teeth. A decoction of manjistha may be used to treat rickets. Manjistha is also used to treat uric acid and arthritis. The oil helps in alleviating muscle pain and swelling and it is very beneficial for arthritis patients.
Destroys Tumors And Fights Cancer:
- It destroys tumors and, diabetic ulcers (of the leg). Manjistha can destroy both malignant and benign tumors naturally. It is a natural remedy to treat uterine and ovarian cancer. It fights cancer cells in colon, breast, and liver too. The cyclin hexapeptides and quinones present in Manjistha plant are responsible for its anticancer property It has anti-tumor property against various cancers like myeloid leukemia and histolytic lymphoma.
Removes Gall Bladder Stones and Protects Against Kidney Stones:
- Manjistha cleans and regulates the pancreas, spleen, liver, and kidneys thus promote healthy digestion and cleansing of the entire body. The present waste products turn into crystals inside the kidneys. This can be prevented by the regular use of Manjistha. The herb protects the kidneys against the harmful effects of toxic chemicals
Supports Liver and Aids Digestion:
- Manjistha rebalances the liver enzymes and strengthens the liver. It kindles the digestive fire and aids in the digestion of food.
- Manjistha is a Superfood that has potent antioxidant properties that can scavenge free radicals and fight oxidative stress. It also protects our body from the impairment of the immune system.
- Manjistha has a calming effect on the brain and nerves. It has beneficial effects on corticosterone and dopamine levels that plays an important role in the body’s response to stress. It might lead to delusion if taken in large doses.
More Benefits of Manjistha Herb
- Manjistha may also be used to treat diarrhea, dysentery and chronic fevers. Manjistha is known to fight allergies as it prevents the release of chemicals like histamine. It is antipyretic, rejuvenate herb.
- The intake of Majistha may temporarily turn the color of urine to orange or dark brown.
- Manjistha is available in capsule and powder form. Manjistha can be supplemented with neem, turmeric, guduchi, and burdock to make an ideal combination for supporting natural detoxification of the blood, removing excess heat, promoting healthy skin, proper liver functioning, and circulation.
The use of Manjistha in any form is beneficial for overall health.