Hand skin peeling is nothing but is a very unpleasant symptom of a great number of things. The red, raw and irritated skin that quite frequently comes with it can be very uncomfortable and at times even painful. A lot of people experience it daily in their life. Anyone is susceptible to this skin disorders but there are certain causes which make them more prone to this disease like – coming in contact with any allergen which you are unaware that you are allergic to this allergen, sometimes spending the whole time in very cold weather can also be a triggering factor to it. There are many causes of hand skin peeling so, first of all, identifying the underlying is a very crucial step in treating the hand skin peeling.
What Is Hand Skin Peeling?
Hand peeling is characterized by peeling of the skin of your hands especially around the palms associated with itching and burning sensation in your hands which is not normally felt. This problem is widespread now a days because it can affect the people of any age group. It can make our life uncomfortable and unmanageable.
Who are Susceptible To It
It mainly depends upon the reason why hand peeling is occurring. If eczema occurs then people mainly calls its cause genetics because eczema runs in families. Certain allergic conditions can also be a cause which is not related to genetics. The extreme cold environment can also be its cause. Those people who expose themselves to the sun and some other chemical irritants for a prolonged period of time with little or no protection are more susceptible to develop Contact Dermatitis and Sun burn.
Causes of Skin Peeling of the Hands
Skin peeling can occur due to a variety of causes which can be a genetic predisposition, any underlying disease or it can be due to certain environmental factors. Eczema on the hands is mainly inherited in which skin of the hands peels off. If your hands are peeling, the main reason that you are exposing them to certain environmental factors and certain harmful chemicals which makes your skin peeling, mainly contact dermatitis and sun burn. These conditions are quite uncomfortable and are temporary as they resolve with time. In some people it mainly starts during the onset of winters but soap, detergent and certain cleaning agents can also be its cause. If you do not find any underlying cause then look for the possible irritant which might cause your hands inflamed resulting in peeling of the skin. Genetic predisposition can also be its cause if your family member is suffering from it. There can also be other factors–
- Environmental factors – Many environmental factors can cause peeling of skin on the hands. Sunrays can cause Sunburn. Contact dermatitis is mainly caused due to allergens or irritants. Allergens can be soaps, detergents, cement and harsh chemicals.
- Infections – Skin infections, bacterial infections some fungal infections can be its cause. Tinea manuum is ringworm that cause fungal infection which mainly affects both the hands and is characterized by inflamed rash surrounded by raised borders.
- Other Skin Conditions – Psoriasis is a skin condition which mainly affects palm, fingers and other areas of the skin leading to red, dry, itchy and scaly skin. Another skin condition is Exfoliative Keratolysis, which is mainly seen in hot weather in which air-filled blisters are formed and peeling of the skin of hands, fingers and feet occurs.
- Frequent hand washing –Skin peeling mainly occurs when we wash our hands frequently so always wash your hand when necessary because frequent hand washing with soap removes the skin’s protective oils, once they are gone the skin becomes dry leading to Soap dermatitis and dry skin.
- Climate – Very dry weather sometimes causes skin peeling and cracking so always wear gloves so that your skin cannot come in contact with the harmful environment.
- Sunburn – Sunrays contain harmful UV rays which can affect our skin and can also cause cancer. Most sunburns are mild and usually resolve within a week. So one should not stay out in the sun for a longer period or should use certain moisturizers, creams and lotions.
- Chemicals –Agriculture, Manufacturing and Construction company job workers are at higher risk of developing this problem because of exposure to certain harmful chemicals.
- Warnings- Sometimes the peeling of the skin is not associated with major health conditions and diseases and it can occur without any reason but if its symptoms are worsening with time and they are not healing early then it is the time when you need to consult a Doctor.
Specific Conditions That Can Cause Peeling Skin
Here are some conditions –
- Atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- Dry skin
- Seborrheic dermatitis
- Medication side effects
- Jock itch
- Cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Athlete’s foot (tinea pedis)
- Contact dermatitis
- Staph infections
- Toxic shock syndrome
- Scarlet fever
- Kawasaki disease
- Non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma
- Stevens-Johnson syndrome
When to See a Doctor
Mild skin peeling can be treated with certain home remedies, by using certain moisturizers but if your symptoms are worsening with time and they are not improving within a week and you are feeling intense pain and breathing difficulty then you need to consult a Doctor.
Treatment for Hand Skin Peeling
It is said that prevention is better than cure, so if you have a family history or have had eczema before then the best way is prevention before it starts. Wash your hands thoroughly if you comes in contact with any allergen or any irritant. Moisturize your hands regularly. Firstly find out the underlying cause, then you can treat them easily like if you have Eczema or dry skin then use moisturizer daily. If your hands are chapped then start using petroleum jelly on it, If it is due to any allergen then avoid that allergen but if sometimes you comes in contact with that allergen then you should consult a Physician.